AuthorMessage
Spectre
Sergeant
Sergeant

Number of Posts : 75

PostSubject: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Dear Community,

The Problem:
The servers on Chaser v1.49 crash very often because of the medibug.

What is the Medibug?
The server crashes when a player uses a medikit at the same time he is shot dead by another player. If there is a delay, the server crashes.

The solution:
I propose we disable the medikit ONLY on Chaser v1.49. Many players choose not to reconnect after server crashes, and it can be very frustrating for players who had a nice rank. If the medikit is disabled, the servers would have 99% uptime.

THE BUG DOES NOT EXIST IN CHASER v1.50, so if we disable it on Demo, it might encourage players who want to use medikits to download and play the full version of Chaser!

Zippo believes he is able to patch the medibug for Chaser demo, but it is a very difficult task, therefore, disabling the medikits in Demo may only be temporary.

Please Vote
Please register on the forum and vote for what you think would be best for Chaser. I cannot make this decision alone !

Thanks for reading and voting,

Matt (Spectre)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ussf-chaser.eu
SOĐ
Lieutnant
Lieutnant

Number of Posts : 151

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:44 am

Spectre wrote:
Dear Community,

THE BUG DOES NOT EXIST IN CHASER v1.50, so if we disable it on Demo, it might encourage players who want to use medikits to download and play the full version of Chaser

Matt (Spectre)

People will not play full even if you remove medis. pale 
Yesterday i played chaser and its pretty annoying, crashing in 10-20 rounds.
Our previous servers werent crashing that much therefore i think its not because of medi, but something else. Remember playing on Lukes servers for hours without crash on demo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redtube.com
Spectre
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 pm

SOĐ wrote:

People will not play full even if you remove medis. pale 
Yesterday i played chaser and its pretty annoying, crashing in 10-20 rounds.
Our previous servers werent crashing that much therefore i think its not because of medi, but something else. Remember playing on Lukes servers for hours without crash on demo.

We are certain it's because of medikit, I think the reason it's more prevalent is that there are more laggers in general, the servers are based in CZ, even though it's centrally located, you get several avid players who have a little bit of a timelagg, off by even half a second, it's enough to crash the server if medikit is used in that timelagg.

In short, the bug is more prone to laggers, and since there are many, the crashing occurs more often !

There are loads of oldschool players online at the moment, and I'm pretty sure that eventually, they will begin to play full for medikit, slowly the new gen players will want to join these full servers too.

It happened the last time there was a new generation of players, you get one year where only demo is played, the next where only full is played, etc ... :p

Anyway, many who have not voted here have agreed that disabling the medikit is a good idea, even just to try it for a week, so tomorrow we will sort this !
Back to top Go down
SOĐ
Lieutnant
Lieutnant

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 pm

What a pity that people dont even know how much demo sucks compared with full.

Most memories come from full

Auto map downloader is one of the best stuff ever made for chaser, now unfortunately for virtual penis. Unused for demo version.
We could again make tournys on clanwarz CTF, find jump map fans w.e
Demo limits our community already in a long time.

If i were an admin i would definitely close demo ffs. silent 
A big change for a big thing.
Back to top Go down
SOĐ
Lieutnant
Lieutnant

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm

But lets see if medi remove will change something in my view, no
Back to top Go down
Spectre
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:27 am

The main problem with the map downloader is that most don't realise it exists :p Although it has served very well so far, especially to groups who organise custom map marathons. For the first time ever, someone can join a server running a map that they do not have, they are simply prompted to download and install the map if it's found in our database, and the player can join ! So we have organised a few custom map marathons, and many were able to join easily ! As I said, one of the main problems is that people don't realise this is possible yet ! I believe in good time, this feature will be used much more !

As for motivating players to play full, let's see what happens with medikit before making drastic changes !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash   

Back to top Go down

Disable Medikits -> No Server Crash
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1